A digital citizen is a person with the skills and knowledge to effectively use
digital technologies to participate in society, communicate with others and
create and consume digital content.
Office of the eSafety Commissioner
The Digital Citizenship website provides practical advice to students, teachers and parents on the responsible use of technology, addressing safe and ethical online behaviour. Articles and resources are linked to the NSW and Australian Curriculum.
Our goal is to empower students, teachers and parents with practical advice, based on current research, to guide them in making informed decisions about how children and young people engage and conduct themselves online.
We have made a conscious effort to move away from a fear-based approach to focus more on a positively framed strategy. NSW public schools teach students to be responsible digital citizens as they explore the possibilities of the digital world. We are equipping and empowering NSW students, teachers and parents with the skills and knowledge to minimise the risks and maximise the opportunities of our digital future by:
- supporting teachers to model best practice and to actively teach the skills to be a good digital citizen
- providing advice and guidance to parents and carers on how to best support and care for their children when online
- encouraging students to be safe and responsible when online and to be positive contributors to a digital society.
We’ve partnered with leading researchers to:
- build a curated toolkit providing practical advice and support for students, teachers and parents.
- enable the education of students to be safe, positive and responsible contributors to a digital society.
Curriculum capability and outcomes
- Learning Continuum of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Capability
- Critical and Creative Thinking
- Ethical understanding
- Personal and Social Capability
- Intercultural Understanding
We have partnered with experts in the field and we would like to acknowledge their collaboration in sharing their insights and research. They include: