Computer Security in Lower and Middle Primary (suitable for Stages 1 and 2)
Students are becoming more and more technologically savvy and are emerging users of internet-enabled computers. They may be involved in a range of online activities, including: playing computer games, participating in online communities, using search engines to research school projects, communicating using ICT (such as instant messaging and email), creating and posting content online, and searching for and downloading digital material, such as music. Since COVID-19, students have needed to have a better grasp at using internet functions at a younger age.
These lessons aim to assist students to recognise some of the security risks associated with computers, particularly the concept of viruses and how these can be spread through pop-up files. It explores strategies for keeping computers safe, including using strong passwords and protecting passwords. It also highlights the importance for students to turn to a trusted adult or carer for help if they are being bullied or harassed online, and what other steps they can take to protect themselves.
In this resource pack, there are engaging animated videos supported by lesson plans and worksheets, offering children practical guidance on staying safe and managing risks online.
There are 14 lessons: 7 x Lower Primary, 7 x Middle Primary, a teacher guide, 2 x character flashcards, 2 x song sheets, 10 x student storybooks, 1 x worksheet
'Hector's World - Lesson Plan, Computer Security', eSafety Commissioner, accessed 8 July 2022
Curriculum and syllabus links
NSW Syllabus outcomes
Science and Technology S2
- ST2-11DI-T Describes how digital systems represent and transmit data
Australian Curriculum content descriptions
Digital Technologies S2
- ACTDIK007 Identify and explore a range of digital systems with peripheral devices for different purposes, and transmit different types of data
- ACTDIK008 Recognise different types of data and explore how the same data can be represented in different ways
- ACTDIP012 Explain how student solutions and existing information systems meet common personal, school or community needs
- ACTDIP013 Plan, create and communicate ideas and information independently and with others, applying agreed ethical and social protocols