Advice on responding to and protecting children from online bullying and cyberbullying
Online bullying – or cyberbullying – is engaging in bullying behaviour using technology such as the internet or mobile devices.
Online bullying is different from other forms of bullying:
- It is more likely to happen outside school.
- Harmful material can be shared quickly and long after the first incident.
- It can happen anytime, day or night.
- It is more difficult for children to defend themselves or get away.
The NSW Department of Education has developed the Anti-Bullying website to give advice to parents about cyberbullying.
Curriculum and syllabus links
NSW Syllabus outcomes
- PD2-2 Explains and uses strategies to develop resilience and to make them feel comfortable and safe
- PD2-3 Explains how empathy, inclusion and respect can positively influence relationships
- PD2-9 Demonstrates self-management skills to respond to their own and others' actions
- PD2-10 Demonstrates a range of interpersonal skills that build and enhance relationships and promote inclusion in various situations
- PD3-2 Investigates information, community resources and strategies to demonstrate resilience and seek help for themselves and others
- PD3-3 Evaluates the impact of empathy, inclusion and respect on themselves and others
- PD3-9 Applies and adapts self-management skills to respond to personal and group situations
- PD3-10 Selects and uses interpersonal skills to interact respectfully with others to promote inclusion and build connections
- PD4-1 Examines and evaluates strategies to manage current and future challenges
- PD4-2 Examines and demonstrates the role help-seeking strategies and behaviours play in supporting themselves and others
- PD4-3 Investigates effective strategies to promote inclusivity, equality and respectful relationships
- PD4-9 Demonstrates self-management skills to effectively manage complex situations
- PD4-10 Applies and refines interpersonal skills to assist themselves and others to interact respectfully and promote inclusion in a variety of groups or contexts
- PD5-1 Assesses their own and others' capacity to reflect on and respond positively to challenges
- PP5-3 Analyses factors and strategies that enhance inclusivity, equality and respectful relationships
- PD5-9 Assesses and applies self-management skills to effectively manage complex situations
- PF5-10 Critiques their ability to enact interpersonal skills to build and maintain respectful and inclusive relationships in a variety of groups or contexts
Australian Curriculum content descriptions
Health and Physical Education S2
- ACPPS035 Describe and apply strategies that can be used in situations that make them feel uncomfortable or unsafe
- ACPPS036 Identify and practise strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing
- ACPPS037 Describe how respect, empathy and valuing diversity can positively influence relationships
- ACPPS038 Investigate how emotional responses vary in depth and strength
Health and Physical Education S3
- ACPPS053 Investigate community resources and ways to seek help about health, safety and wellbeing
- ACPPS054 Plan and practise strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing
- ACPPS055 Practise skills to establish and manage relationships
- ACPPS056 Examine the influence of emotional responses on behaviour and relationships
Health and Physical Education S4
- ACPPS071 Evaluate strategies to manage personal, physical and social changes that occur as they grow older
- ACOOS072 Practise and apply strategies to seek help for themselves or others
- ACPPS073 Investigate and select strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing
- ACPPS074 Investigate the benefits of relationships and examine their impact on their own and others' health and wellbeing
- ACPPS075 Analyse factors that influence emotions, and develop strategies to demonstrate empathy and sensitivity
- ACPPS079 Investigate the benefits to individuals and communities of valuing diversity and promoting inclusivity
Health and Physical Education S5
- ACPPS092 Propose, practise and evaluate responses in situations where external influences may impact on their ability to make healthy and safe choices
- ACPPS093 Investigate how empathy and ethical decision making contribute to respectful relationships
- ACPPS094 Evaluate situations and propose appropriate emotional responses and then reflect on possible outcomes of different responses